Construction Crew Member and General Labor
Mr. Rooter Plumbing offers proud tradespeople a noble, long-term career doing work that matters with a team that does it right
$20 to $27 / hour + $3 / hour for a CDL and full benefits (see more at the bottom of this listing)
When most people drive by a jobsite they see a group of workers digging a trench. Do you instead see a team of skilled professionals restoring a family’s quality of life by repairing their access to clean water and health-preserving sanitation?
Do you take satisfaction from hard work, building things, and proving yourself by knocking out the challenging jobs most people are not even willing to try?
Do you have the big-picture vision to see a well-paying, entry-level role as only the first step in a series of jobs within a company that quickly increase in responsibility and compensation?
Are you a courteous professional who would relish partnering with your colleagues in the office and in the field to add another customer comment like this to the team’s collection of 1,000 five-star reviews?
We had a sewer line clog that's been on-and off for years. Mr. Rooter - our long-time drain go-to service - diagnosed a very complex set of sewer and storm drain pipes, found our issue, and avoided removing a 100-year old tree. The entire team at Mr. Rooter Portland, from the front office to supervisor and dig crew, were fantastic, friendly, and made several trips to make sure all was completed perfectly. I recommend them highly for any drain/sewer work. (Yelp Review)
At Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Portland & Vancouver we protect the health of our community through the most clean, courteous, and professional resolution of water and wastewater system problems. If you bring high character and ambition, we will welcome you into a noble, long-term career and support you to grow within this team.
What Mr. Rooter Plumbing expects of the Excavation Crew Member
The role of the Excavation Crew Member is to perform general labor as part of a small team to repair and replace sewer and storm lines. The majority of jobs involve existing systems in residential neighborhoods, not new construction or commercial work. Primary responsibilities include:
- Travel daily, in all weather conditions, from our Gladstone, OR shop to jobsites across the greater Portland & Vancouver metropolitan area by driving company vehicles towing equipment trailers.
- Maintain a safe jobsite. Learn and follow all safety procedures and Personal Protective Equipment in compliance with OSHA requirements.
- Dig trenches with a mini-excavator and by hand to expose sewer and storm lines
- Repair and replace underground pipe and then pass government quality inspections
- Restore the customer’s property with care and attention
The ideal candidate brings these attributes and experiences:
- Exemplifies the clean, courteous, professional attributes of the Mr. Rooter brand. This is messy work; we’re digging holes and dealing with pipes full of water. But, we always leave the customer’s property in great shape and our team is regularly complimented by homeowners for how we conduct ourselves on the jobsite. If you can smile even when you are standing in a muddy hole, you will be a great fit.
- Fast learner, comfortable with process. We can teach you how to excel in this job - our company has done it for 25 years and knows the most efficient, safest processes for excavation work. Commit to learning and you will be fine.
- Candidates with experience and demonstrated skills earn more on day one. Over time, every Excavation Crew Member must complete all safety courses, demonstrate mastery operating a mini-excavator and all other equipment, hold a Class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) and medical card and will move up in pay.
- Ambitious team player. The only way to succeed in this role is to commit to working with the whole Excavation Crew. Ideal candidates want to get jobs done the right way as efficiently as possible and they both offer help and accept help to make it happen.
How Mr. Rooter Plumbing supports the Excavation Crew Member
The Excavation Crew Member will join a supportive team with an Operations Manager who has served at Mr. Rooter for 18 years and previously led the excavation crews himself. There is no better coach for this role. In addition to supportive management Mr. Rooter provides the tools and equipment required to succeed and advance:
- Vast potential market and a service that is non-discretionary. Every home reaches an age where it requires sewer line repair and in our region tree roots wreak havoc on sewer lines and accelerate issues. There is a lot of available work.
- Proven history of generating business to keep crews working. Mr. Rooter has performed residential sewer excavation for 25 years in Portland & Vancouver. We employ a full-time sales team to fill the calendar with excavation jobs and every customer visit by our plumbers to fix a clogged drain has the possibility to discover a new job for the excavation crews.
- Investment in tools, equipment, and vehicles. Each crew is fully equipped with a dump truck, mini-excavator, and every tool required. If your crew needs something to get the job done safely and correctly, we will provide it.
- Progress into other roles at Mr. Rooter Plumbing. With demonstrated mastery of this role Excavation Crew Members have options for promotion to Excavation Crew Leaders, shifting to the Water System Service Professional track and running calls in their own company truck, or even pursuing the plumbing apprenticeship program.
Total compensation and benefits include:
- $20 to $27/hour based on qualifications plus $3/hour more if you have a Class A CDL or when you earn a Class A CDL (we will pay for your class).
- 401K with employer generous match and immediate vesting. 100% match on the first 3%, 50% match on the next 2%.
- 3 weeks of paid time off
- 6 paid holidays
- Excellent Regence Blue Cross / Blue Shield medical insurance with $5,100 per year paid toward your premium by Mr. Rooter
Apply today to learn more and explore whether Mr. Rooter is the right place for your new start.