Payroll Specialist & Bookkeeper
At Mr. Rooter Plumbing you will enjoy a sophisticated, respected business without the burdens or politics of a big company
Do you appreciate how established finance teams operate, but you would prefer to comfortably fit in with a friendly group of coworkers in a historic home converted into a workspace than search for your place amongst a large staff in a corporate office park?
Are you excited by a role where you have the ear of the company’s owners and senior managers and you are invited to help shape financial and accounting approaches based on your prior experience and your current observations?
Does your work satisfaction require confidence that your employer sells services customers really need and that make a difference for their families, not just the company’s financial statements?
At Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Portland & Vancouver we protect the health of our community through the most clean, courteous, and professional resolution of water and wastewater system problems. While our technicians are out in the community saving the day our office team supports them with equally professional business processes. We are seeking a Payroll
Specialist & Bookkeeper to keep everything flowing.
What Mr. Rooter Plumbing expects of the Payroll Specialist & Bookkeeper
This is a critical role eagerly anticipated by the rest of our 50-person team. Bookkeeping duties are currently shared, however the size of the company and our growth plans necessitate more specialization. The good news about our former approach is that the new hire already has fully-trained backups to cover the duties during vacations. The role can adjust and
expand over time based on the skill and ambition of the Bookkeeper. Initial responsibilities include:
- Daily invoice turn-in. Processing payments received from customers by technicians and reviewing job details
- Accounts receivable. Very limited, as over 90% of our customers pay at the time the work is performed
- Accounts payable. Enter vendor invoices
- Monthly reconciliation & GL entries. Reconciliation of credit cards and bank accounts, GL entries for monthly closing
- Bi-weekly payroll. Complete compensation calculations and prepare files for the payroll company
The ideal candidate brings these attributes and experiences:
- Exemplifies the courteous, professional attributes of the Mr. Rooter brand.
- Commitment to the highest level of accounting standards. Though unusual for a business our size we embrace Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and our owners maintain clear separation between their personal finances and the business.
- Sufficient experience in bookkeeping and accounting processes to help shape the role and the team. We will add more people in the next two years. Your thoughts will be important in shaping the growing finance department.
How Mr. Rooter Plumbing supports the Payroll Specialist & Bookkeeper
The Bookkeeper will join a supportive team in a critical role valued by everyone at the company. Specific points of support include:
- Stable, recession-resistant work. Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Portland & Vancouver has served the community since 1995. Our business is built on residential repair and replacement services which are non-discretionary purchases and every home is a potential customer. Our team members feel secure in their jobs.
- Supportive, knowledgeable owners and management. The three colleagues you will interact with most frequently are the Director of Business Operations and the wife & husband ownership team. The Director has 18 years of experience with the company and has performed every bookkeeping duty during her tenure. One of our owners holds an accounting certificate and operates daily in Quickbooks. The other is a former large-company executive with a Finance MBA from the Wharton School of Business. You will be part of a team that understands and respects your contributions to the business.
- Professional accounting guidance. We retain respected Portland accounting firm, Perkins & Co, as our advisors on all accounting and tax issues. If necessary, you will have access to top CPAs for guidance.
Total compensation and benefits include:
- $50,000 to $56,000 ($24 to $27/hour) depending on skills and education
- 3 weeks of paid time off
- 6 paid holidays
- 401K with employer generous match and immediate vesting. 100% match on the first 3%, 50% match on the next 2%.
- Excellent Regence Blue Cross / Blue Shield medical insurance with $5,100 per year paid toward your premium by Mr. Rooter
Apply today to learn more and explore whether Mr. Rooter is the right place for your new start.