Plumbing Trainee and Helper
Mr. Rooter Plumbing has one opening for a person ready to launch a career
Enter the plumbing trade today and earn $20 / hour along with more generous workplace benefits than your parents likely have. With commitment by you and mentorship from the Mr. Rooter team, by the time your friends graduate college you will comfortably make more than they do, hold zero student debt, and be several steps down the path of a life-long career in which you get to solve problems for people in need every day. And unlike office jobs, this skilled trade is always in demand and will never be outsourced to technology or overseas workers.
At Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Portland & Vancouver we protect the health of our community through the most clean, courteous, and professional resolution of water and wastewater system problems. Every team member plays an expert role. And 80% of our 50-person team had no plumbing industry experience before they joined us. If you bring high character and ambition we will welcome you into a noble, long-term career and coach you to become an industry expert.
What Mr. Rooter Plumbing expects of the Plumbing Helper
This role is a training ground which will lead to a position as a Water System Service Professional or Plumber in the future. We seek candidates who have the goal of serving as a service tradesperson in customers’ homes and the maturity to recognize that early-career training experiences are the foundation for success in that future role. In this initial role you will work at our company’s plumbing shop in Gladstone, Oregon as well as dispatch in a company vehicle to parts supply houses and job sites. At all times a professional will teach and train you to accomplish the primary responsibilities, which include:
- Warehouse - Learn all plumbing parts names and use. Re-supply technicians’ vehicles, order parts, maintain an organized warehouse with accurate inventory.
- Vehicle and Equipment Fleet - Learn how to use and maintain all shop tools and drive company vehicles while towing trailers. Track maintenance schedules and coordinate repairs with vendors along with light, in-house maintenance.
- Facilities - Maintain clean and organized facilities and grounds to uphold the professional image of Mr. Rooter.
- Field Support - Learn the basics of the trade through assisting technicians. Deliver parts to job sites, join in hands-on labor as a helper for excavation, drain cleaning, and plumbing jobs.
The ideal candidate brings these attributes and experiences:
- Exemplifies the courteous, professional attributes of the Mr. Rooter brand in every personal interaction. People trust Mr. Rooter Plumbing to help them in their homes during a time of vulnerability and need. We respect and serve all customers with an aim to restore their quality of life, whether their home is a new mansion or an aging trailer. That same attitude of professionalism and service is reflected in the way we interact with our teammates as well.
- Desires a serious job, not a casual way to earn spending money. This is not like working at fast food or retail for a few months and then moving on to the next gig. This is the first in a series of serious jobs in the plumbing trade that can lead to providing for your family, owning a home, and holding the respect and appreciation of the community. Others who served in this role are now in the apprenticeship program, serving as technicians, and supervising teams within our company. We only have one open slot. It needs to go to a candidate who is seriously committed to learning, working, and growing.
- Models a work ethic that would be admired in both 1923 and 2023. We do not believe the myth that "young people today don’t want to work." Every generation includes great people who demonstrate hard work, self-discipline, and personal responsibility in support of their team and in pursuit of their own goals. If your response to a lull in the action during a work shift is to ask yourself "what else can I do to help?" then this could be a great, entry-level role for you. If instead, your instinctual response is to whip out your phone and start scrolling, then please do not apply.
How Mr. Rooter Plumbing supports the Plumbing Helper
The Plumbing Helper will join an established team, reporting directly to our Field Support Manager who has extensive experience and much to teach about overseeing vehicle fleets, warehouse inventories, and facilities. In addition to engaged management Mr. Rooter provides the tools and equipment required to succeed:
- Vast potential market and a service that is non-discretionary. Every home is a possible customer and when there is a problem with the water or wastewater system it must be repaired. This is recession-proof work.
- Established processes and a willingness to teach. The responsibilities of this role have been successfully performed by several predecessors at the start of their plumbing careers. The Plumbing Helper will be surrounded by people who know how to do the work and are willing to teach it. We’re also eager to incorporate your suggestions once you get established.
- Opportunity for advancement. The top managers at Mr. Rooter have all grown their plumbing careers here, starting in entry-level positions. We are a 50-person company with three locations in the Portland & Vancouver area and are on a steady growth trajectory. That adds up to career opportunities for everyone on the team.
- Engaged teammates and a positive workplace. Read employer reviews from current and former team members at this link.
Total compensation and benefits include:
- $20 / hour and a stable schedule of 7:00 to 3:30 Monday to Friday. Overtime opportunities.
- 401K with generous employer match and immediate vesting. 10% match on the first 3%, 50% on the next 2%.
- 3 weeks of paid time off
- 6 paid holidays
- Excellent Regence Blue Cross / Blue Shield medical insurance with $5,100 per year paid toward your premium by Mr. Rooter
- Company uniforms and laundry service
Apply today to learn more and explore whether Mr. Rooter Plumbing is the right place for your new start.