Plumbing Trainee with 1,000+ hours
This role is only open to candidates who have a Washington Plumbing Trainee card and verifiable hours with the state. If you and your hours are not listed at this WA L&I link please do not apply. If you have 1,000+ hours we'd love to talk with you.
Mr. Rooter Plumbing will elevate the training you’ve already begun to become a licensed Washington Plumber and provide a work environment that makes you want to stay with this team for the long term
Do you already hold a Washington Plumbing Trainee card with over 1,000 documented hours, but now realize you need a more a more professional training program and well-resourced company to become the top-performing plumber that you know you can be?
Do you value the future financial security of a licensed plumber’s six-figure income enough to commit fully today to the intense on-the-job and academic coursework learning of a professionally structured plumbing apprenticeship?
Are you a courteous professional who can earn a customer comment like this for the team’s collection of 1,000 five-star reviews?
We had a pipe break off our shower support. Mr. Rooter sent out Mike L. He was wonderful. Professional, courteous, meticulous. He explained everything he was doing to us and answered all our questions. Will absolutely call him again if we need a plumber. (Google Review, August 2023)
At Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Portland & Vancouver we protect the health of our community through the most professional resolution of water and wastewater system problems. Every team member plays an expert role. And 80% of our team had no plumbing industry experience before they joined us. If you bring high character and ambition we will welcome you into a noble, long-term career and coach you to become a licensed plumber.
What Mr. Rooter Plumbing expects of the Washington Plumbing Trainee / Apprentice
This opportunity is for aspiring plumbers who already hold a Washington State training card and have at least 1,000 hours documented on the Labor & Industries website. You will start as a Plumbing Trainee, working and learning under the direct supervision of a Mr. Rooter Plumber as well as completing a study of the plumbing trade through a nationally-recognized course. Over time as you collect enough hours and prove your mastery of the training you will advance to Plumbing Apprentice, running service calls alone in your own company truck with your Supervising Plumber supporting you by phone and video call. Whether with a Supervising Plumber or working solo the primary responsibilities include:
- Follow the Mr. Rooter system to earn trust, diagnose residential plumbing and drain problems, and present multiple options with up-front pricing for customer approval before starting any work.
- Perform the repair work with excellence using hand and power tools, fiber optic inspection cameras, drain cleaning machines, and a thorough knowledge of plumbing code.
- Embrace a technology-based, data-rich way of work. The one tool used on every job is a networked iPad for customer presentations and for data collection to support self-evaluation and performance coaching.
- Achieve or exceed productivity targets while delivering outstanding customer service.
The ideal candidate brings these attributes and experiences:
- Exemplifies the courteous, professional attributes of the Mr. Rooter brand in every personal interaction. People trust Mr. Rooter Plumbing to help them in their homes during a time of vulnerability and need. We respect and serve all customers with an aim to restore their quality of life, whether their home is a new mansion or an aging trailer. Every job is followed by a customer satisfaction survey, linked to the team member who performed the work.
- Knows how to be polished and is willing to get dirty. During a single customer visit the Plumbing Trainee / Apprentice may deliver an iPad presentation to a couple in their living room, crawl under the house to inspect pipes, and wrestle a rusting water heater out of a closet.
- Possesses the confidence to work alone and the humility to win as a team. After completing the required hours of directly-supervised training, the Plumbing Apprentice tackles most jobs solo and self-manages their pace of work. They also stay in constant communication with the Dispatchers, fellow Service Professionals, and their Supervising Plumber via text and calls, adjusting together as the day unfolds to ensure all customers are served.
How Mr. Rooter Plumbing supports the Washington Plumbing Trainee / Apprentice
Candidates enter this role with little or no plumbing experience. We know that and will coach you. The Plumbing Trainee/Apprentice will join a supportive team based out of our Salmon Creek location in North Vancouver. After training there is an option to work from our Longview location. You will work for a Branch Manager who has served at Mr. Rooter for 8 years and an Operations Director with 20 years at our company. Both are accessible instantly with a phone or video call from the jobsite. In addition to supportive management Mr. Rooter provides the training, equipment, and environment required to succeed:
- Validated plumbing curriculum. Some shops toss trainees into a passenger seat and hope for the best. At Mr. Rooter Plumbing you will complete professional coursework in addition to your on-the-job training. All Trainees and Apprentices join a weekly class on Washington plumbing code and will complete a self-paced apprenticeship course through the National Plumbing, Heating, and Cooling Contractors’ Association (PHCC). When it is time to test for a Washington Plumbing License you will be confident and when it is time to serve a customer you will be capable.
- Sophisticated tools for customer consultations. We provide networked iPads with presentation and quote-building tools. Each technician has a fiber optic video cameras to diagnose problems and show the customer exactly what their issue is and why the recommended, long-term solution is the best choice for resolution. Each van is fully equipped with parts and the specialty tools required to complete work.
- Vast potential market and a service that is non-discretionary. Every home is a possible customer and when there is a problem with the water or wastewater system it must be repaired.
- Proven history of generating consistent work for our team. Mr. Rooter Plumbing has served Portland & Vancouver for 25 years. We are in the top 5% of all plumbing companies in the nation by size which means stability for you. Today we are turning down work because demand exceeds the capacity of our team.
Total compensation and benefits include:
- $20.00/hour for Plumbing Trainees riding with a Supervising Plumber
- Performance pay for Plumbing Apprentices running their own jobs. Expect $60,000 to $75,000 ($29.00 to $36.00/hour) in the first full year with six figures readily attainable as you progress up the Washington State plumbing licenses.
- 401K with generous match an immediate vesting. 100% match on the first 3%, 50% on the next 2%.
- Company van/truck that you drive home, fuel card, uniforms and laundry service, phone and iPad
- 3 weeks of paid time off
- 6 paid holidays
- Excellent Regence Blue Cross / Blue Shield medical insurance with $5,100 per year paid toward your premium by Mr. Rooter
Apply today to learn more and explore whether Mr. Rooter Plumbing is the right place for your new start.