Water System Service Technician / Plumbing Trainee
Mr. Rooter Plumbing turns "no industry experience" into a noble, long-term career
Performance pay with full benefits. $80,000 a year and up is a reasonable expectation. See more at the bottom of the listing.
Would you prefer a career where you go home each night knowing that your work restored another person’s quality of life?
If we asked your old coach to describe you would they say, "most hustle on the team?" Would you like to be paid for that work ethic and the measurable results that you control instead of your number of years on the job or who you know?
Are you a courteous professional who would relish partnering with your colleagues in the office and in the field to add another customer comment like this to the team’s collection of 1,000 five-star reviews?
Mr. Jim & Mr. Cody were very prompt, professional, and very knowledgeable. They were patient and listened to my needs. They inspected the problem and then went on to solve my problem. They also offered suggestions as to solve issues that are causing this problem. They were very neat and kind with their time. I was very impressed and comfortable having them in my home. (Google Review)
At Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Portland & Vancouver we protect the health of our community through the most professional resolution of water and wastewater system problems. Every team member plays an expert role. And 80% of our team had no plumbing industry experience before they joined us. If you bring high character and ambition we will welcome you into a noble, long-term career and coach you to become an industry expert.
What Mr. Rooter Plumbing expects of the Service Professional
The role of the Service Professional is to diagnose and correct plumbing, drain, and sewer problems and to deliver an outstanding customer experience. Service Professionals use their Mr. Rooter vehicle to independently visit several customers daily throughout the greater Portland and Vancouver metropolitan area as assigned by the Dispatcher. Primary responsibilities include:
- Follow the Mr. Rooter system to earn trust, diagnose residential plumbing and drain problems, and present multiple options with up-front pricing for customer approval before starting any work.
- Perform the repair work with excellence using hand tools, fiber optic inspection cameras, electric drain cleaning machines, high-pressure drain cleaning machines, and occasionally a jack hammer as taught during on-the-job training.
- Collaborate with Mr. Rooter Journeyman Plumbers and assist them when a diagnosis of a customer’s water system problem reveals the need for a licensed plumber. Remain current on plumbing code through in-house continuing education.
- Embrace a technology-based, data-rich way of work. The one tool used on every job is a networked iPad for customer presentations and for data collection to support self-evaluation and performance coaching.
- Achieve or exceed productivity targets while delivering outstanding customer service
The ideal candidate brings these attributes and experiences:
- Exemplifies the courteous, professional attributes of the Mr. Rooter brand in every personal interaction. People trust Mr. Rooter Plumbing to help them in their homes during a time of vulnerability and need. We respect and serve all customers with an aim to restore their quality of life, whether their home is a new mansion or an aging trailer. Every job is followed by a customer satisfaction survey, linked to the Service Professional.
- Knows how to be polished and is willing to get dirty. During a single customer visit the Service Professional may deliver an iPad presentation to a couple in their living room, crawl under the house to inspect pipes, and open a sewer cleanout as an access point for a 4,000 psi drain cleaning machine.
- Possesses the confidence to work alone and the humility to win as a team. Service Professionals tackle most jobs solo and self-manage their pace of work. They also stay in constant communication with the Dispatchers, fellow Service Professionals, and Field Supervisor via text and phone, adjusting together as the day unfolds to ensure all customers are served.
How Mr. Rooter Plumbing supports the Service Professional
The Service Professional will join a supportive team with a Field Supervisor who has served at Mr. Rooter for 6 years and an Operations Manager with 18 years at our company. Both are accessible instantly with a phone or video call from the jobsite. In addition to supportive management Mr. Rooter provides the tools and equipment required to succeed:
- Vast potential market and a service that is non-discretionary. Every home is a possible customer and when there is a problem with the water or wastewater system it must be repaired. This is recession-proof work.
- Proven history of generating consistent work for Service Professionals. Mr. Rooter Plumbing has served Portland & Vancouver for 25 years. Our local team is in the top 5% of all plumbing companies in the nation by size. Today we are turning down work because demand exceeds the capacity of our team.
- Documented procedures and a full-time trainer. Mr. Rooter Plumber has written procedures that quickly guide new Service Professionals to high performance. These are refined and proven over time. We are also fortunate to have a 25-year veteran of the company whose full-time job is training - not just onboarding new people, but leading continuing education for the whole team. New Service Professionals who are willing to learn can be in their own truck running jobs in 90 days.
- Sophisticated tools for customer consultations. Networked iPad with presentation and quote building tools. Fiber optic video cameras to diagnose sewer line problems and show the customer exactly what their issue is and why the recommended, long-term solution is the best choice for resolution. Each van is fully equipped with parts and the heavy equipment required to complete work.
- Opportunity for advancement. The top managers at Mr. Rooter have all grown their plumbing careers here, starting in entry-level positions. Many opportunities exist for those who commit to learning and have the ambition to grow. Within a short period of time, those who excel can earn a Water Heater Technician license or become a trainer - both positions come with a higher pay structure. Over time Supervisor and Manager positions are options.
Total compensation and benefits include:
- Performance pay based on the value of completed jobs with no pay limit. In the last two months our Service Professionals averaged 40-hours a week and earned $4,800 to $8,300 / month.
- 89% of our Service Professionals earned more than five thousand a month
- 56% of our Service Professionals earned more than sixty five hundred a month
- 22% of our Service Professionals earned more than eight thousand a month
- Company van/truck that you drive home, fuel card, uniforms and laundry service, phone and iPad
- 401K with employer generous match and immediate vesting. 100% match on the first 3%, 50% match on the next 2%.
- 3 weeks of paid time off
- 6 paid holidays
- Excellent Regence Blue Cross / Blue Shield medical insurance with $5,100 per year paid toward your premium by Mr. Rooter
Apply today to learn more and explore whether Mr. Rooter Plumbing is the right place for your new start.